Elementary/Middle School Teacher
Dewey International Education
Starting date: not given
Program Name: Taipei Elementary school FET program
15 Public elementary schools in Taipei City, Taiwan are looking for teachers to join their Foreign English Teachers program for the 2023-2024 school year. The teaching contract will be from August 1st, 2023 to July 31st, 2024. Dewey Recruitment will provide support to teachers relocating to Taiwan, helping them to settle in before the start date.
- Teachers must possess a state-issued teaching license from the United States.
- Teachers must have a degree in Education or English
- Teachers with other degrees would need to have other English teaching certificates such as Celta, TEFL 120, TESOL 120, etc.
- Teachers must have a clean criminal record
- Having teaching experience in elementary schools is a major plus
- The expected range of monthly Salary for teachers is between $65000NTD to $95000NTD per month.
- Additional allowances may be available for teachers working in more remote areas.
- National health and labor insurance is included
- National health care should cover most if not all of any teacher’s medical needs.
- Additional Flight Subsidy
- Additional Accommodation Subsidy
- Additional Perfect Attendance Bonus
- Additional Assessment Bonus
Foreign English teachers will work from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday in their assigned school, teaching around 18-20 classes per week, each being 45 minutes. They will have one hour for lunch every day.
- 15 Foreign English teachers will be assigned to 15 different public elementary schools.
- Joint workshops and seminars will be held throughout the year to help teachers adjust and develop their skills for teaching in an international setting.
- Foreign English teachers will work with Taiwanese teachers and other foreign teachers to share experiences and improve English language teaching methods.
- Though a curriculum will be provided, foreign English teachers are expected to create lesson plans and additional lesson aids.
- Foreign English teachers will create themed English classes outside of the curriculum and participate in other after-school activities, as well as winter and summer camps
Goals of this program:
- Empower Taiwanese students with a global mindset through English language education and broaden their future horizons.
- Inspire and cultivate students' passion for learning English.
- Collaborate with Taiwanese teachers to enhance English language education methods in Taiwan
The school, in collaboration with the recruitment team, will establish a teacher assistance group to facilitate a smooth transition for new teachers and provide ongoing support. This group aims to help teachers succeed in their teaching roles while also exploring the many adventures that Taiwan has to offer.
Experiences from past teachers:
- Public school teaching differs from private school teaching in terms of larger class sizes and fewer parental expectations, allowing teachers to focus on delivering effective instruction and meeting educational standards.
- Public school teachers have the freedom to extend or deviate from the textbook curriculum with an international cultural focus, providing students with a more comprehensive and engaging learning experience that promotes understanding of diverse cultures and perspectives.
- As the only foreign English teacher in your assigned school, you may experience feelings of loneliness due to language barriers.
- Not all Taiwanese teachers, including school directors, may be familiar with the FET program, so foreign English teachers must be self-starters and take initiative.
- In some classes, foreign English teachers may need to collaborate with Taiwanese teachers. However, it may be the first time the Taiwanese teacher has worked with a foreign English teacher, which could lead to communication or cooperation issues.
- Public school teachers are often responsible for developing, finding, or creating additional materials, writing weekly lesson plans and reflections, and creating learning aids to engage and support their students in achieving educational standards and learning objectives.
- As with any job, teachers should expect to learn on the job and continuously develop their skills and knowledge to better serve their students.
- Some days, you may have no classes or work but still, be required to stay in the office without any assigned tasks.
Originally posted at Dave's ESL Cafe
Details:Position: Elementary/Middle School Teacher
School: Dewey International Education
Location: Taiwan, Other
Start Date: not given
Application Deadline: not given
Salary: not given
Job Requirements: not given
Contact:School Name: Dewey International Education
Recruiting Company: not given or N/A
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org